Saturday, October 10, 2015

Review: Dinner @ Uchu Peruvian Steakhouse, Cusco


Once back at Cusco, our G Adventures guide took us to Uchu, a Peruvian Steakhouse.  It was a busy place, and the first thing that you noticed when you enter the restaurant is being hit by a wall of smoke.  Because the restaurant is a cook-at-your-table concept, and there isn't quite enough ventilation, there is a constant plum of smoke circling round.

Our guide had pre-ordered us the Peruvian delicacy… roasted guinea pig (aka "guy").  Once we sat down we were presented with what looks like a small suckling pig with a cherry tomato to act as a helmet.  Cute!  The taste though wasn't that great.  The meat is similar to chicken, but tougher and gamier.  I'm not entirely sure if I'm supposed to eat the skin, but it was tough enough that I left it alone.  Oh well, at least now I can say I have tried Guinea Pig AND Alpaca meat!

I still wasn't feeling too good from my food poisoning from PapaCho's, so opted for one of their broths for dinner.  I ordered the Sopa Criolla de Costilla, which is essentially lamb rib stock with spaghetti.  It was surprisingly delicious, deep with flavour, and presented in a stone bowl, which reminded me of Korean hot stone bowls (dolsot).  Mmmm this meal really hit the spot for me.

Summary

  • The Bottom Line: along with Aguamente, this is one of my top restaurants in Cusco!  A must try.
  • Score: 9.8/10
    • 5/5 for food
    • 5/5 for value (S.25 for the soup)
    • 2/2 for service
    • 1.75/2 for seating environment
    • 1/1 for hitting the spot
Guy, aka guinea pig
Sopa Criolla de Costilla

Anticuchera

No comments:

Post a Comment