Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Review: McDonald's vs KFC showdown, Cusco


Whenever I'm in a foreign land and come across McDonald's, I just have to drop by and take a look.

Peru is no different.  I was delighted to discover a McDonald's by the Plaza de Armas.  Yaaaay!  It goes without saying that I have to order something from the menu that I couldn't find at home.  That was easy. There is  large poster with "Pollo Crujiente" on it (crispy chicken).  Fried chicken? Done!  

One we got our order, I headed to the condiments area where I saw that you can choose from a variety of sauces - there was the (empty) chimichurri, red aji limo, yellow salsa de aji, and my favourite orange aji amarillo.  Wow!  So many choices.  And they all seem better than the usual boring ketchup & mustard.

The chicken was pretty good - crispy and flavourful.  Not bad! 

Next up - KFC.  A convenient 5 minutes away from McDonalds.  There we also ordered the crispy chicken - of course, otherwise how could we compare right?  We got the order, and wow it was also pretty good.  Maybe it's the chicken quality in Peru or something, but BOTH were equally delicious. The only thing was that I found the KFC chicken to be smaller in size.

I suppose I could only declare a winner base on other factors, such as the seating environment.  To this point, MCD definitely have a more pleasant dining environment.  You are right off the plaza square with plenty of natural light.  Add on to those crazy new sauces and the larger pieces, I will have to declare the winner to be - MCD!

If you're heading to Cusco, try both MCD and KFC and let me know what you think! Do you have a preference?

MCD 

MCD
MCD 
KFC

Related Posts




No comments:

Post a Comment