Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Review: Visit to Chinchero, Sacred Valley


I thought that the tour has ended after our visit to the Maras Salt Mines, but to my surprise (and a pleasant one I might add), we were taken to Chinchero.

Chinchero is a a small Andean village, with a high altitude of 3,800 meters, so better get those high altitude pills ready!  The town itself has a very clam and authentic feel, though quite run down.  But I would take a run down village any day, where you can see that it has been lived in, over a shiny new tourist attraction.

We were brought to the city square where blankets and other weaved goods were sold.  The price here is much cheaper than anywhere else, and I feel that the money goes directly into helping the community, and not to some shrewd middle business person's pockets, so please support them.  I saw a beautiful blanket for $20 USD, but didn't buy it cause I live in a small shoebox apartment with no space what-so-ever.  Still, I'm kicking myself to this day for not picking it up.

Past the market is a GORGEOUS 17th century adobe church that has been built on Inca foundations.  I say gorgeous not because it is magnificent like the Versailles or Notre Dame.  I loved it because it was unexpected.  It's a small quiet and peaceful place, perched high on the hills.  The inside is plain, and unfortunately has deteriorated over time, and the village lacked the funds to repair it.  There is a small donation box by the entrance, so please drop whatever spare change you have and help keep this church going.

Out of all the places I've visited so far, Chinchero is most definitely my favourite.  I can't really explain why, since there is nothing really that screams historical landmarks, but there is a quiet lovely charm here that couldn't be found anywhere else in this world.  With Chinchero, I have fallen in love with Peru.

Summary

  • The Bottom Line: my favourite village in all of Peru.  I highly recommend that you pick a day tour to visit this peaceful town.
  • Score: 10/10





Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment