Saturday, September 12, 2015

Review Escape Room @ Omescape: The Penitentiary




There are no spoilers in this review.  However, if you prefer to know absolutely nothing about this room, just know that I highly recommend The Penitentiary.  Now stop reading and make the reservation!

Updated Review (Nov 2015)

I played Penitentiary again, this time with more experienced players. We still didn't manage to escape in time, needed maybe 2 minutes more.  However, my recommendation is to never redo a room, even if you only got halfway through the first time.  The magic is just not there anymore…

I have now played all the room at Omescape Markham, and here's how I would rank them (based on my personal experience).

From Best to Worst (but honestly, there are no "bad" rooms at Omescape):

  1. Mysterious Study
  2. Penitentiary
  3. Joker's Asylum
  4. Kingdom of Cats
  5. Dark Altar

Click here for a list of other escape rooms I have tried.

Original Review

The Penitentiary is my 7th escape room, and it is also by far the hardest and the most satisfying room I have been to. 


As with all other Omescape rooms, you are asked to put on a blindfold before entering the room.  At first I thought it was a dumb idea as we are not kids and know full well that we're not being transported to another dimension or anything.  However, having done other escape rooms later where I was not asked to be put on blindfolds, I realized that by not being able to see the room when we walked in really does add to the overall experience of the game.

This is a multi-room escape, and as we were only a group of 5, we found it a bit challenging. I recommend at minimum a group of 6, with at least 3-4 experienced players.  You will find that there are some puzzles that are physically difficult to execute with only 5 players.

Did we escape?  Nope, not even close!  When the time was up we were maybe just a bit over halfway.

If this is your first time at an escape room, I would suggest going for an easier room like the Kingdom of Cats or the Mysterious Study.  Not to worry, Omescape will surpass your expectations so you will end up returning for the other rooms!  I have yet to find an escape room that is better executed than Omescape.

Summary

  • The Bottom Line: great for experienced players, go with at least 6 players.
  • Score: 5/5

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment