Thursday, October 29, 2015

Review: Lunch @ Schnitzel Hub, Thornhill


Today has just been an extremely wet and soggy day.  It has been pouring from when I woke up to pretty much late into the evening.  On the day when most sane people would choose to stay indoors, crazy me decided to brave the rain and try out a new restaurant.  

Schnitzel Hub is located in the North West corner of Steeles and Yonge.  It is situated in a somewhat busy plaza where there always seem to have a lot of car traffic.

Driving there was an interesting experience.  Listening to the local news, there were plenty of warnings on the radio for both pedestrian and cars to be careful, as there were 12 pedestrians struck (thankfully none of them were serious) within a 1 hour timeframe during rush hour in the morning. As I listened to this, I saw 3 teenage boys dash across Steeles (yo a 7 lane street….!) to get to the same plaza.  There was a crosswalk not far off but I suppose they would rather risk their lives and jay walk.  One of the boy's pants were half falling off, you know, in those late 90s style when it is cool to have bits of your boxers showing through, and during the hectic run, it DID fall off. Opps. So I sat in the car watching in amusement as he tried to fight with one hand his flimsy umbrella that has turned inside out, the other trying to keep his pants from falling down and fully exposing his pink (I'm not kidding!) boxers, while jay walking running through a 7 lane major artery street in Toronto.  I don't even think he realized that all the cars had to stop in the middle of the street for him.  I'm not even sure what to think anymore.  You assume that it is always the driver's fault when pedestrians are struck, but really, common, pedestrians you take some responsibilities too and please pay attention.  Right or wrong, when you get hit, you lose.

Anyways, back to the review.  We parked at the back of the plaza and ran (making sure there were no cars around!) to the restaurant.  Once inside, we were immediately seated.  The restaurant is small, with about 5-10 tables. Because of the rain, there wasn't anyone else in the restaurant with us.  Yay we got the place to ourselves!

Looking at the menu, I was debating between the soup & perogies or the schnitzel sandwich.  It being so cold out, I wanted the soup.  But I'm not a perogie fan, so end up with the schnitzel on kaiser.

After ordering we sat and watched the TV on the wall.  More news on the weather and another warning for both cars and pedestrians.  Looks like we might break some sort of record for the most rainfall in 24 hours.

The veal schnitzel came.  The kaiser bun is large, and I think there might be enough for 2 meals.  I thought it was pretty good.  Mind you, I'm not a schnitzel connoisseur by any means.  In fact, I'm not sure when was the last time I ate at a German restaurant.  All I really know is what I do like and what I don't like.  This veal schnitzel kaiser, I like.  It also came with a small coleslaw salad, which I didn't like as much. I'm just don't like sour tasting food in general.

Anyways, the bill came to about $12 including tax and tip.  I thought it was a decent deal, considering I only ate half, so the other half will be my lunch tomorrow.

Our server was great, and I enjoyed the food.  This just goes to show you that sometimes it pays off to not be lazy and allow the weather deter you from exploring!  I'll probably come back and try the borscht soup next time.


What was ordered

  • 4/5 Good
    • Veal Schnitzel on Kaiser ($8.95)

Summary

  • Bottom Line: Good veal schnitzel on kaiser
  • Score: 4/5



Related Posts


Schnitzel Hub Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment